The Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Commerce, advises the general public that individuals applying for non-resident/tourist visas to the United States of America and Canada for recreational, business, and other purposes, should do so well in advance of their proposed date of travel.

The Ministry is cognisant of the fact that the number of persons applying for visas have increased, especially during the summer vacation.  The Ministry would continue to facilitate the necessary assistance to the public, particularly in cases of extreme emergencies.  However, the embassies to which persons are applying would need sufficient time to facilitate the processing of an application; this also includes scheduling the required interview and collection of biometrics for visa appointments, where necessary.

In this connection, the Ministry takes this opportunity to reiterate to the general public that preparation of the requisite application is the responsibility of the applicant, and hereby appeals to the public to plan ahead and prepare at least 2-3 months in advance of their travel to avoid any delays. To avoid any impediments, keen attention must also be given to the required documents that are needed, as well as stipulated fees for processing of all applications.  These fees and requirements are published on the websites of the US Embassy in Barbados and Canadian Embassy in Trinidad.

The basic requirements for non-resident/tourist visas are as follows:

  • A complete application form (which must be done online).
  • The application and processing fee for most US visa classes (B1, B2, C1, C1/D, F, M, J) is US $160.00.
  • Canadian non-resident visa form (IMM 5257) fee + biometric fee are $100CDN & $85 CDN respectively. Everyone who applies for a visitor's visa, a work or study permit (excluding U.S. nationals), permanent residence, or refugee or asylum status, will need to provide fingerprints and photo (biometrics), to the Canadian Embassy. This also applies to temporary residents who are transiting in Canada.
  • A valid passport along with two (2), passport-sized photos (see specifications on the embassies’ website). A scanned copy of your passport is needed for processing the application online.
  • Proof of your financial support, such as a bank statement(s), proof of pension or investments.
  • Letter of employment, which should indicate occupation, position, salary or allowances, years of employment and please provide contact information for your employer.
  • Letter from your invitee with whom you will be staying in the US and Canada (this must include the name and address and contact no. of your host).
  • Provide information for your reasons for travelling.
  • For students, proof of current studies such as letter from academic institution confirming your registration and year of studies.
  • A copy of your visa previously granted (for persons renewing their Visa).

For more information about the non-resident/tourist visa and other Visa as well as scheduling appointments, kindly visit the website of the US Embassy in Barbados website at  "" or call the visa Information Center in Barbados at 1 (246)-620-3399 or e-mail the embassy at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ;

Information about the Canada resident/tourist visa is available  "" . Persons can contact their office directly at 1 868 224 3099 or  "mailto:This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it." This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..  Persons can also send an e-mail to: "mailto:This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. The Canadian High Commission is located in Port of Spain, Trinidad.




Ministry of National Security,
Melville Street,
Kingstown, Saint Vincent


(784) 457-1426
(784) 456-1111